Frequently Asked Questions
Both Soundfield packages come with Dynamic Soundfield Speaker, Mount, Touchscreen Microphone and Power Supplies. Apart from GPO’s (standard power points), the soundfield does not require any additional equipment or infrastructure.
- Halls and some classrooms may benefit from a Roger Wall Pilot to automate connections.
- Our Hand-held Pass-Around Microphone are very useful in group sessions to allow students to speak confidently.
- Where the PA is required to be included in the feed, a Roger Media-hub is recommended to have a constant audio input and allow the teacher to move freely around the room.
For a personalized recommendation please email us at email@example.com
We recommend Roger Hearing Solutions and Assistive Technology, particularly in education.
Here is why……
Australian Hearing are the sole CSO funded provider of services that can be accessed by children and young adults under the age of 26 in Australia. Due to the size requirements, product ranges, support and many other reasons the majority of Australian children are provided with Hearing Aids, and/or Cochlear Implants with Roger Receivers (depending on suitability etc). Most children are also provided with a Roger Touchscreen Microphone (or Transmitter).
NCC / BCA D3.7
The NCC/BCA Requirements (D3.7) Hearing Augmentation, states that, any room or space with an in-built amplified sound system, or public interface requires a hearing augmentation system. Typical areas in educational facilities can include:
- Teaching/learning spaces,
- Resource spaces,
- Performing Arts & Theatres,
- Sports Halls & Multi‐Purpose Halls,
- Front counters, Receptions, conferences rooms, meeting rooms, Ticket Boxes etc.
We recommend Roger Hearing Augmentation in an education setting for the following reasons:
- Optimum performance and increased compatibility with a children’s hearing aids as they use the same technology,
- Minimal wiring required / low installation cost,
- No interference / feedback issues with metal structures, other technology, music equipment,
- Children have no need for a neck loop, reducing stigma and increasing uptake, and reducing number of neck loops required therefore decreasing cost,
- Simple maintenance / support (no need to remove carpet or redo wiring),
- Expandable to a Soundfield solution to benefit all children including covering the teachers voice (normal hearing, and hearing impaired),
- Not dependant on T‐coil in hearing devices. Majority of child hearing instruments will not have T‐coil activated by their audiologist,
- BCA D3.7 – The number of receivers should be adjusted to exclude children as they do not require receivers. For a BCA C3.7 compliant solution please contact us.
Phonak Soundfield Speakers are dynamic which means that they adjust the sound amplification to achieve the best acoustic environment for everyone in the room.
Use of a Roger™ Hearing Augmentation Touchscreen Transmitter, Roger Dynamic Soundfield Speaker and Roger Hearing Aid / Receiver in a classroom or meeting room is considered best practice. This combination of compatible Roger™ equipment allows the transmitter to automatically adjust for each component and potential to overwhelm the listener.
Soundfield usage offers:
- reduction of background noise,
- improved classroom behaviour,
- reduction in stigma associated with wearing a hearing aid, and
- greater control and quality of input from the teacher.
The Soundfield speaker is a specialised hearing solution that dynamically adjusts sound to improve the learning environment for all listeners. Soundfield speakers specifically improve the listeners understanding of speech by providing an even distribution of sound between the teacher, the students and any multimedia equipment.
Sensors within the Roger Digimaster Soundfield Speaker dynamically detect the rooms sound and adjust the acoustics to an optimal level. The volume automatically adjusts to:
- Minimise reverberation,
- Maintain sound to noise ratio at 15db above ambient noise,
- Reduces feedback.
The Digimaster 5000 Soundfield is designed for a space approximately 10-15 metres square – a typical Australian Classroom. A Basic Soundfield Package is an inclusive starting point to help all students, ranging from neuro-typical with an acute ear infection to severely disabled.
The DigiMaster 7000 Soundfield is stronger speaker that can be combined with multiple speakers to cover large areas.
We recommend that school purchase the Touchscreen and Soundfield for the following reasons:
- A Soundfield cannot be used without the touchscreen, therefore the speaker cannot be used when the student isn’t at school, or forgets their touchscreen.
- The touchscreen needs to be available for after school personal use, and therefore will need to charge during the day.
- The soundfield benefits ALL students, including those who are not hearing impaired. Having a complete kit enables them all to benefit.
- The touchscreen benefits the teacher and saves their voice.
We can provide you with a system that is compliant with the BCA D3.7. To ensure that your system complies with the Building Code of Australia, we must have assessed your room, its size and capacity, floor coverings and furnishings and any potential interference issues and privacy requirements for the space. You must have purchased and installed all of the items that we recommend in our quotation, including braille tactile signage. A compliance certificate is issued once all of the system is installed and evidence of this is provided.
Contact us to discuss your requirements.
Basic computer or building knowledge is sufficient to install or use most items. Use caution when drilling if wall mounting the Perspex Box or Soundfield Speaker. A licensed electrician is required to perform any electrical work such as installing or moving powerpoints.
Look for the following icon to assist your decision:
Hearing Loop Australia have a team of installers in most capital cities. Training events will be scheduled as demand requires in various regions so please let us know if you need some support as we will notify you of events in your area. Please contact us to request a quote for installation or training if required.
Soundfield Speakers are an invaluable tool in a classroom, however we understand that it is not always possible to put a soundfield in every classroom from the outset. We recommend that you purchase systems that can be upgraded to a complete soundfield solution. Some Roger products are not compatible with a Soundfield Speaker. If you require assistance with your order, please contact us about this before placing you order.
Hearing Loop Australia offer a variety of solutions that range from hearing augmentation solutions designed to comply with the BCA D3.7 through to speaker systems that improve understanding for all listeners.
Look for these symbols to check its inclusiveness.
Our inclusive solutions benefit all participants including people living with hearing impairment
- Using a non-dynamic system can cause a 54% degradation in speech recognition in a high background noise situation. This substantially affects the clarity of sound for children with a hearing impairment.
- By using One Roger transmitter to simultaneously communicate with both the Soundfield Speaker and Roger Receiver / Hearing Aid dynamically adjusts and avoids overwhelming the listener caused by having multiple systems,
- Users may experience feedback, squeaking or “buzzing bees” sounds from using 2 different systems.
- Multiple systems can cause latency,
- Some systems only accept one hearing aid receiver and will not communicate to multiple people with hearing impairment,
- Using one system allows the teacher greater control and awareness of the system, to refine and get a better audio output for all listeners,
- Speakers often wear multiple microphones as a quick fix due to complicated setups, causing OH&S issues.
Third party speaker systems can be connected to Roger ™ hearing augmentation solutions to achieve compliance, however connecting multiple branded speaker systems it is not recommended. Various options may be available depending on the type of system you are looking to connect. Contact us for assistance in finding a solution.
We deliver products Australia wide. We can only ship to physical addresses and not post office box addresses. Shipping costs are provided at check-out. Orders are dispatched within two business days and shipping times are estimated at between 3-10 business days depending on your location within Australia. Express shipping can be arranged for an additional fee (depending on the destination).
Hearing Loop Australia ships goods Australia wide, however at this time we do NOT accept international orders through our website, please contact us to enquire about a special order.
Please choose carefully. We do not normally give refunds if you simply change your mind or make a wrong decision. You can choose between a refund, exchange or credit where goods are faulty, have been wrongly described, are different to the product purchased on the website or don’t perform as advertised.
All items have a minimum 12 month warranty.
Australian Consumer Law protects consumers by giving them certain guaranteed rights when they buy goods and services. For example, the Law requires that goods must be free of defects, and do what they are meant to do. Services must be carried out with care and skill. These rights, which the Law says automatically apply whenever goods or services are supplied to a consumer, are called ‘Consumer Guarantees’.
Under the Law, Consumer Guarantees cannot be excluded. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of “acceptable quality” and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
Induction loops are recommended in limited situations. We recommend that the following be considered before committing to installation of an induction loop.
- Induction loops will only transmit to telecoil enabled hearing aids, which is a small and diminishing portion of the population. Personal receivers, such as a Listener, must be purchased to include the population without telecoil enabled hearing aids.
- Inductions loops are typically installed under the floor coverings which must be removed and replaced for installation and repairs.
- Induction loops have simple, automatic connection when in range but are not secure. (People outside the room may connect to the induction loop).
- Interference can be caused by other loops, metal and electronic equipment.
- Induction Loops are compliant to BCA D3.7 *Subject to coverage and signage requirements.
To maintain compliance with the relevant standards, a hearing augmentation system must continue to perform in accordance with the standards under which it was installed. It is estimated that more than 50 percent of Australian hearing induction loops are not adequately maintained and many are non-operational.
We recommend and provide a Listener with our induction loop installations, so that you can confirm that your loop is working. We will train you to use your Listener when we commission your induction loop.
Hearing Loop Australia recommends that all hearing induction loops are checked regularly.
We can come to your premises and:
- Test the amplification and decibels, and prepare a report (if required).
- Perform any necessary repairs.
- Design and plan a loop.
- Assess and certify to BCA D3.7.